Monday, November 23, 2009

An example of some damn fine dialogue

As an artist amongst artists, I love sharing art, and if I could I'd dump whole books and movies and television series' right here in this space for you all to absorb. Unfortunately, I can't do this. But I just wanted to show whoever is interested this haunting (and amusing) amalgam of delicious snippets of dialogue from one of the finest long-form narratives ever written and created, the TV show The Wire. It starts out a cop show, and turns, over five seasons, into a labyrinthine exploration of the various festering social strata of a corrupt city, giving a voice to literally everyone its novelistic narrative crosses: policemen, gang members, drug dealers, homeless junkies, dock workers, frustrated wives, reporters, ghetto schoolchildren, corrupt politicians, idealistic politicians, jaded politicians, I can go on.

I can go on spewing praise about this show, but honestly, I can't even begin to describe what a work of compassion, brilliance and sociological acuity The Wire is. Moreover, what a showcase of artistic talent it is. Which brings me to this post. Watch this video just to see an example of how a work of art can use different narrative voices through dialogue to marvelous effect. If you intend to watch the show, this video has spoilers, but nothing that you'll likely retain in any significant way because of how fragmented it is in comparison to the vastness of the actual show.

Here is the compilation of quotes. Hear the words, and be inspired or amused or disgusted. Then go write your own words. Art begets art.

Also, just in case you don't like that kinda thing, there's lots of profanity in the compilation.

2 comments:

  1. I second Indra's love for The Wire. It's probably my second favourite show ever (I'm a die hard fan of Six Feet Under). A brave, brilliant, no-holds-barred portrait of society that comes as close as television can to the truth. It doesn't take sides. You love(or despise) everyone equally. It's a bridge to understanding societal divides.

    If you haven't already ... WATCH IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man. I totally need to see that show.

    ReplyDelete